Keep the holidays festive with these tips for avoiding seasonal pet emergencies.
1) Keep holiday decorations out of reach: Glass or metal ornaments, ribbons, tinsel and artificial snow are dangerous if ingested.
2) Beware of cold weather hazards: Keep pets away from antifreeze – just one lick is enough to kill. Also, wipe your pet’s paws and tummy after walks to remove salt.
3) Keep table scraps on the table: Fatty foods can cause stomach problems, while bones can cause obstructions or choking.
4) ID your pet: The flow of holiday guests provides an open door for escape. Be sure your pet is microchipped and has current ID tags.
5) Place holiday plants high off the ground: Holly, mistletoe, poinsettia, lilies and Christmas tree water can all be toxic if ingested.